Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Question on posting pictures to websites.

Hi Jeff,
A while back you suggested that I add some pictures to our Pony Club website and I now have a collection of pictures from this past year that I'd like to post. My problem is I don't know how to best do that. We are using Google Pages (which will be converted to Google Sites sometime soon according to Google.com). I thought I could simply copy the pictures into PowerPoint and make them into a slide show and post that, but the file is massive (130KB) and is too big to upload onto the Google Pages site. Now I'm stumped. The pictures are all JPEG files but some are a few thousand KB while others are less than 100. Is there a way that I can compress those big ones so that they don't take up so much memory?

Any hints you can offer would be much appreciated. (You are going to rue the day that I got ahold of your e-mail address!!!).

Thanks (once again) for your help.
Shelley

Try using www.picasa.com Take a look at one of my blogs and the slide
shows there. http://ponyclubdad.blogspot.com also see the front page of
www.dressage4kids.com

Picasa is a google product so you just log in with your google password.
You will want to download the picasa 3.0 . It doesn't take up much
memory, and it doesn't touch your filing system. It simply crates it's
own index system of where your pics are stored. The you can select pics
or folders, at the bottom of the page there's a "linktoweb" or something
like that, and it uploads the pics to your picasa online album system. In
the process it compresses them ( I think you can choose the amount of
compression. And, it takes up NO space or memory on your website.

If you click on things like "album properties" you can set albums to be viewable by the public or not. (just incase you're storing non-pertinent photos in the same account.)

THEN... I know this is getting long... every photo has it's own URL, every
album has it's own URL and a URL for a matching slideshow. you can link to
the show or embed it using the HTML code it creates for you.

I need to do a video of how this works before the national meeting...
sounds like it's time!

I have about a dozen different picasa accounts so that if the viewer clicks
to see other pics they are only going to see pics that relate to each other.
Follow me?

No comments: